Sunday, September 23, 2007

Try to Remember



the kind of September...

I'm cheating here because this photo is from October of last year. The burning bush hasn't turned yet. In fact, we are still having summer like weather and I have a wealth of tomatoes to turn into sauce and soup and freeze. I dry them too. And make pesto.

September is my favorite month. I could easily hit rewind and do it again, especially this year. It was almost 60 degrees out early this morning and the sky is blue with a a good breeze. The trees are starting to turn but we haven't had a killing frost so the flowers are still out everywhere in town and here.

Harper and Ramona are having a wonderful time. This morning we were taking it easy, too easy for Harper, who was ready for Border Patrol. " Out?" he asked. And when he got no response he got more communicative about it.
"OUT!"
"Out?"
"Out Please" this with a wonderful pleading look in his eyes.
"OOOOOOUUUUUUT!""
Then one last pleading and soft "Out?"
That did it, Olof got up and did Border Patrol.

Harper is happy now, the territory is secure. Ramona went out and came right back in for a morning cuddle. She loves to lie on top of us.

Brendan's garden looks lovely with white and purple mums planted. I do miss him a lot but I often feel as if he is still with us, guiding the younger cats into their role as grown up guardian cats. Ramona now sleeps with us every night and Harper was with us too last night and this morning when we woke up. They head out for the Territory as soon as they can in the morning, (after breakfast, of course) they will both run in at noon for lunch and in every hour or so for a hug. Then around 4:30 or 5 they are ready for dinner and I shut the door. For a while this summer I was letting them back out after dinner but they thought it was very funny to make me chase after them in the yard so I realized they would come in when they were hungry. So I said, you get dinner and the day is over.

Everybody is fine with that. They hit the sleeping spots a second after eating and don't stir until they have had a good long nap.

I was thinking this morning that if Brendan had had a goodby message to us it would be something along the lines of " Got to go now, the little guys will look after you, I'll be checking in and I'll see you when you get here."

I do miss his calm spirit. The little guys are growing up and taking a bigger role in being our companions. They'll be two years old on Feburary 5th. Their personalities are growing and they are creating their ritoileys. Ramona knows when I whistle I am asking her if she is hungry (she always is, it seems, but she is not overweight). She will answer me, "Yeah!" She also loves to go downstairs in the morning before me, bouncing down the stairs at an amazing flowing speed.

Harper is really a Boy Cat. He gets on Mona's nerves once in a while when he wants to wrassle and she doesn't. She'll tell him where to stick it. He is a happy boy and as cuddly as a big teddy bear. He loves to get under the blankets for a nap.

I have some stories to post about a new animal welfare project I've been helping with. Now I better go start on some of those tomatoes.

3 comments:

Gemini said...

What a lovely garden you have. It always takes time after we loose someone we love.

The Meezers or Billy said...

we are glad that Harper and Ramona are getting along well without Mr Brendan. We is positive that he is guiding them daily and watching over them - and you.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I am glad you have been able to find peace and contentment in Brendan's passing. It really is a passing of the torch from one old life to the young. Everyone has adapted so well and that is really good. Be happy and stop and sniff the Mums, Ramona and Harper.

Purrs
Abby