Sunday, May 18, 2008

How to Tell Your Cat You Are Going Away



Boo makes herself comfy as she awaits her person's return.

This is my mother's feline companion, Boo. Boo is quite shy and spends her days in my mom's room. Recently my mom went to London for a week and we were talking about how Boo really misses her human when she is away and how sometimes she exhibits that stress in unladylike behavior.

I told mom to try something that I read in one of my Holistic Cat books. It seemed to help Brendan the last time we went to Europe for two weeks. Brendan used to get up in the middle of the night and howl sometimes. He was with my in-laws during that trip and they said he howled every night except for the one when we were getting on the plane in Zurich. He was calm that night as he waited for our return.

So. Sit with your cat and tell her you have to go away. Imagine how sad you are to be leaving her and how you don't want to leave her but you must. Imagine a picture of your return and how happy the two of you will be. Imagine an image of each night you will be away. Imagine the nights one by one. Beam these thoughts into your furry ones little head and send comforting thoughts of your return.

Mom did this and said Book was much better while she was away and happy at her return.

So give it a try and let me know if it works for you next time you have to be parted from your loved ones.

3 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

I always do this whenever I leave my babies - even when I am just going to work. I tell them the same thing every day:
I'm going to work, Sammy is in charge, be good boys, I will be home at dinner time.
I started doing this when I had Ralphie, who would cry at the door for 8 hours straight whenever I would go to work. After I started doing this he started to be calmer and calmer and finally I would find him snoozing on the couch when I came home.
And we think that cats don't understand. :-)

Mr. Echo said...

That is wise advice. She talks to us like that a lot. I'm lerning more about that all time time. Karma kitty wuz almost 20 when she died and she and Mommy shared a brain by then.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

My human always does this when she is going to leave us--particularly Georgia who she worries will think she is not coming back. We always know when she will be back (even if she doesn't tell us!)