Friday, June 06, 2008

I Dream of Ramona



Do you ever have dreams where your cats are with you? I had an amazing dream a couple of nights ago. I was in my home town of Falmouth, MA and yet, of course, it was a dream town with some great twists and turns. I was in a small post office getting a box and a strange little key so that I could receive a letter from a friend in Ireland. Ramona was with me. She ran out into the street among the cars and then back to me. I picked her up and held her for the rest of the dream.

Olof was there somewhere but I don't know where Harper was, probably with Olof.
Ramona and I headed downtown and to get there we walked along the tracks of a small train going uphill, rather like a cog railroad (we have one of those here, going up Mount Washington). This was a miniature version following the sidewalk. When we got to the top, we got on the train and rode down.
There was a boy across the aisle also holding a young cat.

If you were lucky enough to grow up in a wonderful place then you can understand some of my feelings when I dream about this town. The population was smaller when I was young, there was much less traffic, and it had a great, cozy small town feel. It still has some of that because the main street is narrow. But back then it had a J.J. Newberrys with crooked wooden floors and a soda fountain, a small drug store with a bow window and a soda fountain,two shops I loved called Buttner's and Mrs. Weeks. Side by side, I think they sold the same kind of things, fabric and yarn and patterns. Women sewed a lot then and my grandmother and mother made a lot of clothes for us. There was a small clothing store in the same grouping, all had beautiful bow windows like something English. And there was a salt water taffy store making the candy in the window and a bakery and a bookstore.

So in this dream I was very happy to be back in my childhood home. I had a wonderful feeling of having a visit to a place I love traveling with my girl kiity.

When I woke up she was cuddled under my chin.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

We lost our 13 year old torti in January. Ellie was our pride and joy and came to us when she was a baby. I still have dreams of her and miss her much!!

Jans Funny Farm said...

What a wonderful dream. Jan tends more to nightmares, so she envies you such a pleasant dream. We felines and pups, of course, have sweet dreams.

purrs and tail wags

The Meezers or Billy said...

awww what a wonderful dream.

Fat Eric said...

That was a good dream. We just heard that Dancer's surgery went well, such good news! Hope he finds a great forever home!