Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Caretakers

I was reading a story on CNN this morning about how much Americans are spending on pet care. One point the writer made is that pets are living much longer than they used to. I think he said that thirty years ago the average life span of a pet cat was three years and four for a dog. That sounds a little off to me so I wonder where he got his facts. However, even if it is only partly true it does explain why we have such a population explosion of animals in this country. The good thing, is they appear to be living longer lives, the bad thing is the numbers without homes being euthanized because there is no place for them to go.

Add in the reproduction rate of cats and you have quite an issue.

Olof told me last night that the shelter in the town where he lived killed unwanted animals by putting them in a room and removing the air. Groups of them. I asked him how he knew this and he said "I asked them." I bet that is something you didn't want to know.

I found a site I like very much with a lot of info and a program worth supporting so I wanted to post it here. It is called Cats With No Name Take a look and do some reading. She also has the Herding Cats commercial which is one of the funniest I've ever seen.

4 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Mom went to leave today to go to town and there was ANOTHER DIFFERENT kitty eating Mistrie's food. It ran to the woodshed when it saw her, that is where Mistrie is. It was a tabby with lovely brown circles, light colored eyes, Mom says young....she hopes it stays...

Fat Eric said...

I just went to have a look at the Cats With No Name. What lovely ginger kitties at the top of their page!

Anonymous said...

That is very sad, what Olaf said. Poor little animals. What a cruel thing to do.

animalfamily said...

hopefully they know better not to do that now.