Monday, February 13, 2006

In Search of



I was at the shelter yesterday. I dropped off a bag of food my household doesn't need right now. Inova dry (they have switched to the Evo no grain, cans of sensitive Choice and I/D ( good for cats with the runs) kitten food and a few brands my picky senior has turned his delicate nose up at. Silas is a straight shooting dry food guy, you know, Mr. No Trouble to Anybody, ( though he occasionally is interested in a little tuna)

There was a lovely tiger mom with three kits going to a foster home while they grow (they were about ten days old). One had possibilities, I'll check back when they come back to be adopted. I had thought about how much fun it would be to foster them but right now, it's probably not a good idea. I don't mind the commitment and it would be good for me, for the distraction. But I feel a little unsure of my kitten knowledge and experience and there was another fosterer lined up.

There was also a very sweet lively little girl kitten all by herself, rescued from a bad home up north with a few adults. A sad story, human kids removed to foster care etc, too many cats. She was a lovely golden buff with white paws. I had bought a new fuzzy, Fergus's favorite toy, just in case. I asked Sandy, the cat mom in charge if I could give it to her and with her permission, I pushed it through the bars and she went nuts. She just loved that little fuzzy toy, she pushed it through the bars and tossed it around and each time she pushed it out we picked it up and gave it back to her. Sandy assured me they would make sure she got to take it with her went she was adopted, which would be soon as she was a cutie.

Yes, I thought about taking her home. But the thing is,

I'm looking for a Fergus and he was something special. I may never find one but I need to give it a good chance that there is one out there. So let me tell you all about him just in case.

I think part of the secret to his personality and lean physique is that he was part Siamese. Siamese people will agree. Fergus was a people cat. If you came here he would want to meet you and make sure you acknowledged his specialness. He might take your pencil and toss it around or he might show off how agile and playful he was by dashing in and out of his tunnel or tossing a ball around. When he was about nine weeks old he provided the sole entertainment for a dinner party of ten adults ( crying until I let him out of the bedroom)

He had a beautiful and expressive face that I never tired of gazing at. When he slept he looked like a little old Japanese wise man. His nose was long, like a Siamese, but not as long as a purebred. His fur was as soft as a rabbit, not like your regular tabby. He was curious and excited about life and joyful. He was also not afraid of anything, as my vet said "he is full of himself". He interacted with everyone. He was also possessive of his places and determined to get my lap even if it meant sliding in next to Brendan.

He had a pink nose. And stripes and white mittens, a white belly and tigery stripes.

If you see him, tell him to phone home. I am waiting.

6 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

AWWWW. Now I want another kitten. Miles is about 5 handsfull though. I know what you mean about Siamese cats - being owned by 2 Meezers myself. They are very people oriented, very possessive, chatty, and demanding. My goodness are they demanding of attention. And SOFT. Sammy has fur that looks and feels like the softest suede. I could pet him forever. And he would let me.

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I called Fergus Petit Garcon because he had a very French way of giving "bisous", wet kisses to each side of my cheeks. He would hop up on the counter, I'd bend down and one, two, three. He knew I was his.
God, I miss him so much.

Eponine's Cowboy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eponine's Cowboy said...

I haven't seen him, but I promise I am looking and will let you know as soon as I do, if I do.

I remind myself to not forget to be paying attention for when a monster might be in search of a Cowboy. There's likely one looking for a Zuleme too!

Just checking on you and wishing you a great Valentine's Day.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Zuleme, I don't even know how to answer this post. I know you miss him so much. I wish they could just live our lifespans, so we wouldn't have to feel this pain. I'm thinking of you, and I hope you someday find another sweet soul to walk with you.

~ tammara

CatDonna & Cats said...

Where I'm from [Singapore/ Southeast Asia] most native moggies have some Siamese hardwired in their genes.

The cats here are sleek, with long limbs and sharp features. And boy are they talkative, garrulous, sociable, attention seeking... Case in point: right now as I'm typing, Pip's on my lap mumbling drowsily. She can't even go to sleep quietly!

Wherever Fergus is, I'm sure he's thinking of you too.