Thursday, February 02, 2006

There's Something About Fergus



Fergus
Fergie
Ferg
Fergolicious
Gerf
Gerfmund
Petit Garcon
Petit

There's a line I really love in The Tribe of Tiger by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. It says

"It is as if Gaia has said to the cats: Here, my beauties-the information you need in order to hunt, mate, fight, yowl, be cautious, raise children, is safely packed in the back of your brains. Save your forebrains for whatever creative inventions may strike you; use your wits to amuse yourselves and me."

Fergus used his wits in many ways to amuse himself and me. More than any cat I have ever known. And that is why I can't imagine another ever taking his place. I'm sure there will be another, we need them to get through this life and they need us for security and comfort in this crazy world. But I can't imagine another quite stealing my heart like he did.

I have Phantom Cat Syndrome. I see him everywhere and I can't imagine that bright spirit is truly gone from this world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely experienced this when I lost Heather. I saw her, I heard her. This is a tribute to how special they were, and how loved and appreciated.
~ tammara

=^..^= said...

When my cousin's dog passed away, she appeared in my Grandma's dreams asking for permission to return to the house for she wanted to continue guarding the family.

~5-Cat Style

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

You have a big heart, and Fergus stole a piece of it. That is as it should be. He will always have that special place in your heart.....he hasn't gone, he is in a different place, waiting for you. He wants you to suffer no more, for he is happy.

What a face! No wonder you miss him so....Hang in there......

Chloe-Cat said...

Fergus is waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. The phantom kitty thing will go on for a while (it is normal). I'm glad you have your other kitties to keep you company! Kitties make even the saddest things easier.

-- Robinn