Friday, February 03, 2006

A Visit to the Shelter



It's Feline Friday at The Modulator

Don't miss Olof's shelter photo page and slide show A Visit to the Shelter

We are going to be helping out with our local shelter and yesterday we went over to visit and see behind the scenes. This is where Silas came from, Fergus came from Harvest Hills in Maine, just over the border. Both places are clean, warm and well lit, staffed by caring people. Olof and I are will be helping with the web site, the TV show and as much else as we can do.
This little fellow was being treated for something and was not real happy about the collar around his neck. But all of the other cats were calm, unstressed and what I appreciated, their personalities were understood in the same way we understand our cats personalities. One lovely, shy female had a small blanket she could hide behind (she was curious about me though and stuck her head out to be petted). One family of four who had never been separated was lounging in a room together. One compatible group was in a large play room and others were in multi-compartment little rooms where they could see everything going on and get plenty of attention. The cat rooms are right behind the office counter, not tucked away in back and nobody is sitting on a concrete floor. Four or five cats roamed the shelter, Tripod Tom (the orange fellow in the slide show) was working as a greeter.
Younger cats were up front in the kitten room, two or three in a group play room, others in ones and twos.

Each dog was taken out daily for attention and play time. There was one young, very appealing dog that, if I was looking for a dog, would be the one. Her had personality to spare and I'd be surprised if he's there another week.

Twenty one dogs will arrive on Saturday from Kentucky, rescued from a kill shelter. They will go quickly to loving homes up here in New Hampshire.

The shelter exists because of the amazing efforts by a group of people led by the director, Roz Manwaring. Now she is fundraising to build a shelter in Berlin, NH, about 45 minutes north of us and "over the notch".

This is the shelters web site, not quite up to date right now though I will be working on it. Check it out.
Conway Area Humane Society

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful of you and Olaf! I love the photo of the kitty in the collar. I can imagine she was not happy with that contraption, lol. Makes me want to bring her home.
~tammara

Fat Eric said...

It looks like one of the better shelters. Some of those cats are so beautiful, it makes me wish I could take them home - Fat Eric's Mum.

PS Thanks for stopping by my blog, I will be adding you to my links too!

The Meezers or Billy said...

awww, I looked at those pictures and now I want to take all of those kitties home - they all looked so cute, yet a little sad at the same time.

Shaggy and Scout said...

Probably my imagination but their eyes all look so sad. Sweet babies, all of them.