Thursday, May 11, 2006

Gimme Six



Harper is a polydactyl. He has six toes on each front paw but is normal on the rear end, though he seems to have one extra toe, no claw, back there. We were shooting our Paw Prints show on Tuesday and Roz clipped the nails on a polydactyl cat there ( A.J.). She pointed out that you have to be sure to watch for the little extra mini claw in between two toes. Harper has those and they are sharp. I took both kittens last night and got them used to me fooling with their toes, prior to nail clipping.

Ramona has regular toes, four on each foot. When we went to collect the kittens (remember the thousand miles kitten drive?) Lynn was upset that the night before she had realized Ramona was not polydactyl and she was afraid we might not want her. She didn't know us. I didn't fall for Harper because he had six toes, the toes are wicked cute but I wanted him because he looked like a real character and that's what I wanted. An individual.

All cats are individuals of course. And I think all types are wonderful. But Harper is growing up to be what I hoped for, a loving and funny companion. He is a cuddler, loving to be on my arm next to me in the middle of the night. He has just learned that he can squeal to be picked up and it works.

Ramona is a sweetheart and most definitely a girl. She is more dignified than Harper and more agile than him (he's our Pork Chop after all) but sometimes she too, just has to have a hug and she will come up to my chest and settle down for some petting. She is so cute with Brendan, it is obvious she admires him. She'll run up and give him a kiss. And he, the big lug, will kiss her back.

It is wonderful to have two kittens who are a bonded pair. Their close relationship makes them more secure and less needy, yet they still want to be with us. I can leave them and go to work and they are happy together and yet our relationship is growing its bonds too. The kittens learn that food, comfort, affection and fun come from us and our bonds deepen. It is an amazing thing and life would be so much bleaker without it.

Our shelter is having a Caturday! We have six bonded pairs available for adoption. Instant family! I have been hired to coordinate media for the shelter. It's part time but I love doing it and it's not by the hour, just get it done. So I'll be doing more writing press releases, stories, photos, keeping up the web site and doing the TV show. And whatever else we can think of. Our latest Paw Prints is a cat special so I will be sure to post a link to it when we get the Flash done.

7 comments:

~ J ~ said...

I just cant stress enough how happy we are that we adopted a pair. As kittens they occupied eachother while we were at work and never developed any bad habits due to lack of fun things to do. They are not so close now that they are older. There is no laying together but there are high speed chases and a few head licks from time to time.

Good luck with your Caturday and I hope people want to adopt the pairs....

Magoo, Smudge, Bella & Dolce said...

We have picked up our four cats one at a time. We got Smudge to be a companion for Magoo, but Magoo is a universe onto himself. So we got Bella to keep Smudge company. Dolce was just a decision we made to rescue another cat. But she loves to terrorize everyone else. We too have had no destructive incidents in the house. I think each cat has taught the new kitten the rules of the house (where the food is, where the litterbox is, where you sit when you want to go outside and what time is bedtime).

I come for a visit everyday to get my Harper and Ramona fix to go along with my morning coffee.

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I am glad to hear they are so popular. I go into the house from the studio every couple of hours for my Harper and Ramona fix.

Shaggy and Scout said...

Scooby & Shaggy are brothers from the same litter. I adopted them when the were 3. I don't see "brotherly love" too much but occasionaly I'll catch them curled up together sleeping or washing each other heads. Shaggy did jump Scooby yesterday & pin him down by the neck. Don't know what that was all about!

The Meezers or Billy said...

I am with Magoo and crew - I come here every day for my Ramona, Harper and Brendan fix. They are just so adorable.

Just Ducky said...

Mum comes for her kitten 'fix'. Plus the more toes the merrier!

Eponine's Cowboy said...

Fantastic post. As you do your marketing, I love the theme for this year's Fur Ball in Kansas City - "A house is not a home until it is an Animal House!"

By the way, this year's Fur Ball is a toga party!